Legal Assistant (Bridgewater)
Published June 5, 2023
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 170 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff. We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Legal Assistant at our Bridgewater location, 197 Dufferin Street, Suite 302.
The Legal Assistant will provide legal and administrative support, particularly in the areas of Corporate, Estate, and Property Law and in the overall management of the assigned lawyer(s) practice. The Legal Assistant has responsibility for reception back-up coverage as well as overflow and coverage support for other staff.
Standard work hours are 35 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage, coordinate, and ensure the smooth flow of work in the assigned lawyer(s) practice.
- General administrative duties including file and records management, dictation, scheduling and arranging appointments, and managing incoming and outgoing mail, e-mail, and telephone calls.
- Ensuring client inquiries are dealt with promptly and efficiently
- Maintaining accurate and current status records for client matters
- Prepare and review correspondence and legal documents at lawyer’s request and direction.
- Deal efficiently with matters on an emergency basis, including last-minute preparation of documents, prioritizing matters on a regular basis throughout the day and rescheduling lawyer’s day on short notice when required by contacting clients, other lawyers, etc.
- Entry of lawyer’s time into the Accounting system for purposes of client billing, including accurately determining the correct matter for each entry.
- Entry of disbursements into the Accounting system
- Coordinating monthly billing process, sending out invoices and reminder notices to clients, following up on overdue accounts
- Providing overflow administrative support for the office, including reception and assistant coverage as well as project work as required
- Periodic cleaning of shared spaces in the office
- Taking care of deliveries and office mail when needed
- Back-up Support & Coverage – Where the work for the assigned lawyer(s) is completed and in the situation where colleagues are on vacation or otherwise away from the office, assisting with fellow staff members’ responsibilities to ensure the office operates at optimum efficiency and service standards
- Other – Additional duties as assigned based on the firm’s requirements
- Post-secondary education in Paralegal studies or equivalent knowledge/experience
- Prior legal administrative experience in the areas of Corporate, Estate, and Property Law
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Demonstrate discretion and sound judgement with a high degree of integrity and trust in handling of highly sensitive confidential information Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties including lawyers, colleagues, and clients.
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Strong time managements with the capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, including proper spelling and grammar
- Excellent typing ability, including attention to detail and accuracy
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in whenever necessary, including additional hours as required
- Basic Accounting skills
- Highly computer literate
This position is currently available and will be filled as soon as possible. If you are interested and meet the requirements, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates may be considered simultaneously for this posting.