Litigation Support Assistant (Halifax)
Published April 28, 2022
We are seeking a hardworking, reliable, and energetic new hire to join our team as Litigation Support Assistant. Come grow your career with us!
Reporting to the Office Manager, the Litigation Support Assistant will provide administrative support to the Halifax Litigation group, primarily in the areas of insurance, personal injury, and medical malpractice. A variety of administrative tasks are completed by the Litigation Support Assistant depending on staff absences and the needs of the group. This position will be busy and fast-paced to ensure deadlines are met.
Location: Downtown Halifax Office – 1801 Hollis Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week; 9:00-5:00 Monday to Friday. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assisting with various administrative work, including scanning, filing, photocopying, binding, and tasks related to getting documents ready for distribution
- Contacting and following up with clients to gather required information as directed by the lawyer, paralegal, or assistant
- Accurate and timely preparation of legal documents and correspondence via transcription and based on lawyer instruction
- Manage incoming emails and correspondence and filing electronically in appropriate shared file management system
- Establish and organize client files, monitor calendars, meet deadlines, document actions, and maintain a reminder/bring forward system to ensure necessary steps are initiated in a timely fashion
- Assist with preparing, compiling, serving, and filing court documents and other legal correspondence and forms
- Maintain lawyer calendars, including appointment scheduling, court dates and other matters
- Assist with internal and external coordination of logistics with respect to discovery, trials, and hearings
- Prepare forms as required and follow internal and external protocols
- Covering for Legal Assistants during periods of absence
- Completion of other administrative tasks and projects as assigned
- Successful completion of Paralegal or Office Administration diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience in a busy Litigation law practice focused on personal injury, insurance, or medical malpractice would be a great asset
- Previous experience in a similar professional work environment would be beneficial
- Reliable, punctual, strong desire to learn and work hard
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Desire to work in a collaborative team environment
- Strong keyboarding skills and an affinity to learn new technology
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Adaptable, thriving on change and able to effectively shift priorities with short or no notice
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Organized, highly detail-oriented, and able to effectively prioritize
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Transcription experience is a definite asset, but can be learned on-the-job
This position is currently available and will be filled as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.