Property Assistant (New Glasgow)
Published June 20, 2022
We are seeking an experienced legal administrative professional to join our team as Property Assistant.
The Property Assistant, through the direction of the Property Lawyers, will assist in all aspects of the file to ensure excellent client service and smooth and efficient workflow. This role may also include reception break coverage when required.
Location: New Glasgow – 610 East River Road
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 35 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Facilitating full cycle real estate transactions and all related work, including purchase, sale, refinance, and new home construction.
- Utilizing appropriate systems to their fullest advantage in generating documents, correspondence, tracking deadline and follow-ups, etc.
- Assisting in the request and receipt of tax certificates, mortgage statements, payout and assumption statements, location certificates, search of title, fire insurance confirmation, necessary clearances, etc.
- Following up with clients, opposing counsel, financial institutions, etc. to ensure that all required information is received, everyone is informed, and everything is in place for the closing
- Keeping lawyers and impacted colleagues informed of any problems or delays in the completion of assigned tasks on the file
- Reporting to financial institutions and other relevant parties
- Forwarding registered documentation to client following closing
- Following up regarding undertakings given to other party’s solicitor at time of closing
- General clerical duties including file opening, data entry, and file closure
- Closing and bank deliveries – access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Servicing clients, both over the phone and in-person at reception
- Previous legal administrative experience is essential
- Experience working with a high volume of property transactions would be a great asset
- Familiarity with the Land Registration Act, Regulations, Land Registration Manual and prescribed forms
- Organized, highly detail-oriented, and able to effectively prioritize
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Word and Outlook along with an affinity to learn new technology
- Basic accounting skills
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Strong written and verbal communication including excellent telephone skills
If you are interested in this fast-paced role and meet the requirements, please apply with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.