Property Paralegal (Bridgewater/Remote)
Published May 6, 2022
Patterson Law is seeking an experienced, highly skilled Property Paralegal to join our team.
This is a great opportunity to build your career working with a high-performance team earning an excellent salary with a comprehensive benefits and pension package.
Purpose: Reporting to the assigned lawyer(s), the Property Paralegal will provide legal and administrative support in all aspects of Property Law. The Property Paralegal is responsible for both billable and non-billable work and plays an integral role in all residential and corporate Property work completed at the Bridgewater office. The position will have revenue production targets set by management for the billable work completed with competitive salary and benefits.
Location: Flexible – part-time in our Bridgewater office and part-time working from home. In-office and remote work balance will depend on applicant’s location and skill set.
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 35 per week. Flexibility and overtime can be expected during work peak periods.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provision of real estate practice support to assigned lawyer(s) for:
- Title searching
- Land registration migration applications
- Purchase, sale, and refinance transactions
- Drafting documents including Agreements, Easements, Declarations, and all documents required for real estate transactions within required deadlines
- Fixing a variety of errors in the Land Registration System
- General administrative duties, including file and records management, scheduling appointments, and managing incoming and outgoing mail, e-mail, and telephone calls
- Directly communicating (verbally, face to face and in writing) with various outside agencies and offices (government offices, other lawyers, real estate agents, banks, insurance companies, title insurance companies, etc.) as required throughout the course of the file.
- Communicating with clients via phone, email, and in-person regarding files to obtain necessary information to complete the file work.
- Ensuring all parties are kept updated regarding the status of files
- Trust account administration
- Trust account disbursement for various transactions, real property and corporate
- Drafting client invoices
- Researching complicated Property matters to understand requirements and determine proper course of action to be followed
- Dealing efficiently with matters on an emergency basis, including last-minute preparation of documents, prioritizing matters on a regular basis throughout the day and rescheduling lawyer’s day on short notice when required by contacting clients, lawyers, and other involved parties.
- Assisting with workflow direction within the office as required.
- Maintaining up-to-date time records and capturing billable hours accurately to ensure proper billing.
- Post-secondary education in Paralegal studies or equivalent knowledge/experience
- 3-5 years’ prior legal administrative experience in Property Law
- Extensive title searching experience
- Experience in Accounting related to Trust accounts and knowledge of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society Trust Account Regulations
- Thorough understanding of the Land Registration Act and Administration Regulations
- Strong working knowledge of Property Online
- Ability to work independently, quickly and accurately, anticipate next steps required, and take initiative when/where appropriate
- Demonstrate discretion and sound judgement with a high degree of integrity and trust in handling of highly sensitive confidential information
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties including lawyers, colleagues and clients.
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively summarize information
- Excellent typing ability, including attention to detail and accuracy
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in whenever necessary, including additional hours as required
- Highly computer literate
The Property paralegal is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applicants without requisite experience will not be considered.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 160 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.