Anna-Marie Manley is a lawyer in our Litigation Group. She practices civil litigation, including acting as counsel in commercial disputes, labour and employment matters, and administrative proceedings. Anna-Marie joined Patterson Law in 2018, returning to her hometown of Truro after attending law school in Victoria, British Columbia, and then articling and practicing with a national law firm in Calgary, Alberta.
Anna-Marie’s civil litigation experience includes experience before both the courts and regulatory bodies such as the Utility and Review Board and the National Energy Board. She uses skills from her engineering degree to enhance her understanding of scientific and technical issues, and to explain legal matters in a way that makes sense to her clients. Anna-Marie can assist with contract disputes, construction and environmental issues, and other civil matters such as claims in defamation, unjust enrichment and negligence.
Anna-Marie also has a strong labour and employment practice. She assists both employers and employees, with a focus on providing practical advice that makes sense in the workplace. She can assist with developing workplace policies, preparing or reviewing employment offers, contracts, and severance packages, and providing thoughtful advice around the myriad of situations arising in the workplace. She is also able to advise on issues related to human rights legislation.
- Appearances before the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, and the Provincial Courts of Nova Scotia, Alberta, and British Columbia on a variety of civil, regulatory and criminal matters
- Appearances before the Nova Scotia Labour Board, the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, and the National Energy Board
- Involved in proceedings with the Canada Human Rights Commission
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Alberta Bar Association (Non-Practicing)
- Volunteer duty counsel: Civil Claims Duty Counsel and Queen’s Bench Amicus (2016-2018)
- Mock trial advisor: Elementary and Siksika First Nation Mock Trial programs (2016-2018)
- Blood Donor, Canadian Blood Services (2014-Present)
- Temporary articled student, The Law Centre, University of Victoria (2016)
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2018
- Bar Admission: Alberta, 2017
- J.D., University of Victoria Faculty of Law (2016)
- B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in Engineering Chemistry, Queen’s University (2010)