Corporate and Commercial Lawyer
People come to Ben for his trusted advice and experience in property, banking and corporate commercial matters. His practice focuses on commercial and real property transactions. He has extensive experience financing and municipal law, representing developers and investors. He is considered a teammate when it comes to advancing his clients’ long-term business goals and brings a practical approach to problem solving.
Areas of Law
Over 16 years of experience providing opinions and documentation to support clients and institutions on a wide variety of legal issues, including contract negotiation, leasing, real estate development, banking and financing, and business structures. His practice includes resolving real estate title and estate matters.
Over 4 years of municipal work advising senior management at the Halifax Regional Municipality on taxation, property, commercial, administrative and governance matters while taking a lead role on report preparation and approvals.
Ben has acted for local, national and international clients providing advice on banking, acquisitions and development matters throughout Atlantic Canada, including REIT formation and acquisitions throughout Canada. He provides advice and training to others through the local mentorship initiatives.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for commercial leasing law, 2021
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Real Estate Lawyers’ Association Nova Scotia – 2002-2013
- Canadian Condominium Institute – 2007 – 2010
- Fundraiser, YWCA Walk a Mile in Her Shoes— 2008-2012
- Fundraiser, Neptune Theatre Black and White All Over Again – 2008-2012
- Fundraiser, Movember Cancer Awareness — 2008-2012
- Title Searching Basics, CBA/NSBS – 2006
- Foundations of Real Estate Mathematics, UBC Saunder (School of Business), 2016/2017
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2002
- LL.B. (Dalhousie University, 2001)
- B.A., Honours (Dalhousie University, 1996)