C. Jennifer Talbot
Tax and Estate Planning Lawyer
Jennifer works almost exclusively in the area of tax planning for business owners. Jennifer works with clients to understand their business and family goals in order to help them reduce taxes on both a corporate and personal level. Her technical knowledge of the income tax rules is put into practical take-aways for her clients so that they understand their corporate structure and how to best use it. Jennifer enjoys the team approach and personal connections made while working through a challenging and ever changing tax system. Jennifer also has experience in handling disputes with the CRA and has successfully challenged reassessments at both the CRA and Tax Court level. She also has worked in negotiating settlements and collection arrangements.
Tax planned business and corporate structuring; Incorporation of businesses, holding companies and real estate companies; Incorporation and restructuring of professionals and professional firms; Establishment of family trusts, business trusts and holdings trusts; Amalgamations; Windups; Continuances; Tax reorganizations on divorce; Separation of businesses and corporate assets among owners, including second generation owners; Tax litigation, including handling objections to the CRA and appeals to the Tax Court; Estate planning for business owners; Establishment of joint partner and alter ego trusts; Establishment of non-profit organizations and handling of applications for charitable registrations.
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Past Chair, Tax Section, Canadian Bar Association, Nova Scotia Branch
- Program Committee – Canadian Tax Foundation, The Foundation Conferences (2020): Young Practitioner Focus; Owner-Manager Taxation
- Steering Committee – Canadian Tax Foundation, Young Practitioners Halifax
- Program Committee – Canadian Tax Foundation, Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference
- Past Coach of the Schulich School of Law Corporate/Securities Moot
- Jennifer frequently presents to local accountants, investment advisors, bankers and others in industry. Most notably, Jennifer has presented on multiple occasions at the Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference and is well-regarded for her knowledge on both the technical and practical aspects of taxation laws.
- A Business By Any Other Name: Selected Tax Issues (Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference, 2019
- Interpreting the Purpose Test: The New Section 55 (Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference, 2016)
- Subsection 55(2): a Practical Perspective (Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference, 2017)
- Estate Planning Update: Probate, Alter Ego Trusts and Testamentary Planning (Chartered Professional Accountants of Nova Scotia)
- Business Structuring: Why it Matters (Canadian Federation of Independent Business)
- CBA Tax Law for Lawyers, 2014
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2012
- J.D. (Dalhousie, Schulich School of Law, 2011)
- M.A. (Atlantic Canada Studies – Saint Mary`s University, 2008)
- B.A., Honours (English – Saint Francis Xavier University, 2006)
Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized in Corporate Law, 2023