Litigator and Family Law Lawyer
Kate is a tenacious advocate whose analytical and direct approach provides a strong voice for her clients leading to success in court, before tribunals and in negotiations of all kinds.
Kate’s practice focuses on family law including separation, divorce, custody, child support, spousal support, paternity testing, parenting time, division of property, and child protection. Kate’s practical and analytical approach allows her to smoothly and effectively resolve her client’s family law matters.
After completing her student clerkship with the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, Kate moved to Toronto where she gained experience both advancing and defending a variety of civil litigation disputes. Kate has served a diverse clientele to litigate civil actions, human rights complaints, employment disputes, disability insurance, personal injury, family and constitutional law matters.
Kate has successfully argued a variety of contested motions before Ontario Superior Court judges and masters and has conducted hearings before the Ontario Small Claims Court, Ontario Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, the Ontario Health Services Appeal and Review Board, the Consent and Capacity Board, and private arbitrators. Kate regularly appears before the Family Court of Nova Scotia, the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, and the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia (Family Division).
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society (2020)
- Law Society of Ontario (2018 – 2020)
- Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (Past)
- Women’s Law Association of Ontario (Past)
- Bridgewater Sustainability Festival (2012)
- Appeals Officer UNBSU (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Council of Canadians
- Society of Evolutionary Art (board member)
- Parenting Arrangements and COVID-19, co-authored with Kristy Hall
- Presenting Speaker at Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Fall Conference, 2019 about the reverse onus on motorists in collisions with vulnerable road users
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2020
- Bar Admission: Ontario, 2018
- J.D. (University of New Brunswick, 2017)
- B.Comm. (Saint Mary`s University, 2007)
- PADI Open Water SCUBA Instructor (2006)