Richard (Rick) Goodman K.C. has an extensive legal and business background as an owner of retail and web based operation as well as commercial and residential real estate.
Rick is experienced in providing large and smaller industrial and business concerns in a wide variety of legal issues including contractual, employment, and other commercial matters. He has had the opportunity to serve a number of terms as acting senior corporate counsel to one of Nova Scotia’s largest manufacturers and counsel to clients in a diverse range of businesses from control software to logging, wind turbine generation to trucking.
As a Standing Federal Crown Attorney for regulatory offences he has brought to trial many matters involving enforcement of regulated commercial industries, particularly in the fishery. In addition he has completed a four year term as a panel member of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission.
The focus of Mr. Goodman’s current practice is representation in estate matters, the creation and advising business along with the acquisition and sale of real property.
Rick has acted as a labour arbitrator and has participated as legal counsel in both civil and commercial mediations and arbitrations. He currently sits on the board of directors of the last independently owned radio station in Atlantic Canada.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized in real estate law, 2022 – 2023
- Appointed King’s Counsel, 1997
- Paul Harris Fellow
- True Rotarian Award Rotary District 7820
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Registered submitter Nova Scotia Land Registration Act
- Current President of the Rotary Club of New Glasgow
- Current member of the recruitment and retention committee of the Pictou County Medical Society
- Board of Directors Atlantic Broadcasters Ltd.
- Past Rotary Director of International Service for NS, Nfld, PEI, and St. Pierre, Miquelon.
- Past Director Aberdeen Health Foundation
- Past Economic Development Committee Pictou County Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Director of the Rotary Club of New Glasgow
- Past-Chairman Rotary International Youth Exchange, Counselor
- Founding Director, and Secretary of The Friends of the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry Society; Chairperson – Donald Sobey
- Past Director/Committee Chairman Decoste Entertainment Center, (Theatre) Pictou
- Past Committee Member Aberdeen Hospital A-l fund raising campaign 1990
- Past Director New Glasgow Waterfront Development Corporation
- Past Director Pictou County Tourist Association
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 1975
- LL.B. (Dalhousie University, 1974)
- B.Com. (Dalhousie University, 1971)