Sarah Emery is a litigation lawyer who represents individuals, as well as small, medium and large businesses in civil and commercial litigation. Sarah has experience dealing with commercial contract disputes, commercial lease disputes, class actions, defamation, and product liability.
Sarah also helps individuals and businesses navigate regulatory licencing and compliance, including fisheries, transportation, environmental and privacy regimes. Sarah is also experienced in defending charges under the Fisheries Act and its regulations.
Sarah has appeared in all levels of court in Nova Scotia.
Areas of Law
- Co-counsel to a leading transportation service provider, including representation before the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board and ongoing regulatory compliance advice
- Co-counsel to the plaintiffs in a privacy breach class action;
- Co-counsel to a leading medical device manufacturer in class and individual actions alleging negligent design, manufacture and warning involving products designed to restore pelvic health
- Co-counsel to a major North American producer of stone products on an appeal to the Ontario Environmental Review Tribunal of the issuance of an Environmental Compliance Approval
- Co-counsel to a non-crown corporation responsible for operating certain environmental government programs on negotiations with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and on contract negotiations with industry
- Assisted counsel in representing Celestica Inc. in its successful appeal before the Supreme Court of Canada to uphold the limitation period for bringing a statutory secondary market securities class action. Trustees of the Millwright Regional Council of Ontario Pension Trust Fund v. Celestica Inc. et al.
- The Advocates’ Society
- The Canadian Bar Association
- Meritas Young Lawyer
- Dalhousie Feminist Legal Association Mentor
- Pro Bono Law Ontario’s Duty Counsel Project (2014-2016)
- “Commercial Leases in the Time of Covid-19”
- “Disclosure: production of Electronic Documents and Case Update”, 2019
- “Medical Cannabis—What Happens Now?”, 2018
- Contributor to the Blakes Food Report, 2015
- “Understanding and Navigating Today`s Environmental Risks”, Panel Member, November 2015
- Osgoode’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, 2018
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2017
- Bar Admission: Ontario, 2014
- J.D., Hon. (University of Toronto, 2013)
- M.A., English Literature (Dalhousie University, 2008)
- B.A., Hon. (Queen’s University, 2006)